Want to write for Shindig? We’re looking for writers, and we’d love to hear from you.
Firstly, please note that this isn’t a paid opportunity. This is a site that doesn’t make any profit at this time, with advertising revenue only partly covering running costs. It’s not that your work isn’t valuable, but that we’re not in a position to pay anyone (editors and owner included!) Should that ever change in the future, paying writers will be the first priority.
(In the interests of full disclosure, we offered some paid opportunities in the past, but that wasn’t sustainable.)
At this time, we’re primarily looking for game reviewers. That said, if you’re interested in any other sort of pop culture coverage—comics, TV, anime, tech, game guides, etc—please get in touch!
What we can offer:
- A place to write and publish that’s listed on Metacritic for videogame reviews
- Writing support, guidance, mentorship
- Review codes for games that you cover, often ahead of release, which are yours to keep
- Flexibility in when and how often you write
- No expectation of exclusivity and encouragement to chase paid opportunities when they come up!
Shindig is based in New Zealand, but we’re open to writers from all over the world.
We especially want to hear from women, people of colour, queer people, and people with disabilities. Your voice is important, and we want to give you a platform.
If you’re interested, please send an email to [email protected]. Please also include a writing sample—this doesn’t need to be a published piece; a sample review as part of the email is enough.
We look forward to hearing from you!